Sunday, 19 August 2007

Larger White Longicorn Beetle (Olenecamptus cretaceus)

OTHER NAMES: N/A 
Latin Etymology: Olenecamptus (?) cretaceus ("chalk resembling)
Adult Larger White Longicorn Beetle (Olenecamptus cretaceus) at Arashiyama, Japan - June 2013


Featured Subspecies: ?
Weight:  ? /  Length: ?  /  Wingspan: ?
UK Status: Not Present / IUCN Red List: Not Yet Evaluated

It's habitat seemed to be the forest floor of the hillsides that led up to the Monkey Sanctuary at Arashiyama, although given we were walking up this hillside, I must admit I didn't really want to stop to look at it beyond a few quick photographs.  I noticed it in the first place for its unusual brilliant white shell, and the massive antennae which you unfortunatly cannot really see in this picture.

Related Species:
Order: Coleoptera
Family: Cerambycidae
Genus: Olenecamptus
SUBSPECIES: None - monotypic

- Sighting Locations -
JAPAN - Japanese - オオシロカミキリ 
Resident seen in Summer.
 - KYOTO/OSAKA 2013 TRIP: A single individual at Arashiyama.

Further Notes: BirdForum Opus, IUCN Red List,.RSPB, Wikipedia, Xeno-canto

No comments:

Post a Comment